Saturday, January 22, 2005

12 miles - Almost 1/2 a marathon!

Great job Sarah! We did it, 12 miles - almost a 1/2 marathon. We woke up at 6 a.m. to 15 degree weather and 30 mph winds. I was very skeptical of the weather & the unfamiliar course. About one mile into the course (when garbage cans we're being blown across the street) I seriously considered falling down & crying. The wind was cutting right through me & pushing me one step back for every step I tried to take forward. Then it started to snow, then my nose started running like a waterfall, my lips we're numb, and my frozen skin was tingling. I thought, "I'll humor Sarah & pretend I'm going to run 12 miles, but really she's lucky if I make it halfway."

I really was amazed - we kept pushing ourselves and finally made it halfway out & the only way back to the warm car was to keep running. Thank God the wind was at our back for the majority of the way back & suddenly it wasn't so bad. 12 miles - no biggie.

Yes my knees hurt, I have a headache from dehydration, my skin is windburned, I'm nautious and my body really aches - but hey it didn't kill me so it must be making me stronger. We defeated our own self-doubt, the weather & hills, and in the end kicked @$$. We are total complete ROCKSTARS!



1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

So, not our most ideal conditions but it DID make us stronger! The other runners kept telling us it was better on the way back. Way to go Holly! Thanks for pushing me and keeping me going. Now we know what it feels like to run 12 miles! We rock. On Tuesday we start week 8!
Total for the week: 24
Next week: 25

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


free counter from digits.com